Tuesday 14 June 2011

LEatHEry!

I haven't posted anything in a loooong time. Yeeeshk.

Well there is going to be plenty soon! Have taken a bit of time to devote to more personal pursuits like creations, sorting out a few things before I start teacher training and getting new lungs. Been ill for a good month or two now and realised I have to get myself right if I'm to be ready for the teaching placements, which my old job was not allowing. So anyone have anything they need making? I'm your lady!

Which gets me onto my most recent project. I haven't played with leather for a good long time (I think the last proper project was a tafl board about a year ago!) except for jesses for falcons which doesn't count (no talent/effort required). I wanted to have a really good go at experimenting with as many different techniques as I could, though I plan to save sewing techniques for the next leathery experiment. These bracers allowed me to play with stamps a lot whilst also having some fun embossing and raising sections of the leather as well as learning a little of dying techniques.



I love watching the process develop, have got a bit hooked on taking photos of each stage!









Done and dusted! Should probably dye both though....

3 comments:

  1. Is that the vinegar black there, or did you opt for 'proper' vegtan dye in the end? Looking pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I like the dark, circley stampy bits and the knotwork around the sides, particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its three long suffering layers of vinegar black complete with a good neatsfooting over the top, just to bring the black out a lil more :) Thanks guys. Really enjoying playing around with texturising with stamps. The bobbley circley stamp texture I've decided to call dragon-pig skin :P

    ...want to draw a dragon-pig now!

    ReplyDelete